Thursday, December 5, 2013

Interview with John

I decided to conduct some interviews and one was with a designer named John. He is a professor at VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University) in the graphic design department as well.

What pieces of design do you think are majorly important for small business owners to get their name out?

Well I am always a fan of posters they are a art that can say a little or a lot, what ever you need. Now most people will probably say business cards, web site, lots of color the basics but sometimes you just need to so something weird that people will stop to look at a business card can be thrown away but something that sticks to your mind can't. 

How would you go about designing something based on food?

I would say fresh colors probably something clean so that it looks appetizing.

How would you go about designing something for a farmers market stand?

Now the initial go to is something that is based around food or home made mom and pop kinda stuff, but why is that? I don't think that successful design for a farmers market stand should be the same as everyone else. There is a certain look that all these stands have but why does it have to be that way? Why can't a farmers market stand have something completely different like swiss inspired bright solid colors. Why does the logo have to have a farm or a bundle of fresh fruit? Why can't it be a hexagon or some strange swoosh? 

Do you think that a person who owns a farmers market stand would go for something like that?

You would have to find the right person for sure. The majority of people are afraid to be different but if you can explain that this would be the best way to go and explain why it would work, imagine how cool a midcentury modern farmers market stand would look. That would get a lot of business.

After talking to John I realized that I had pinned Rosa with a "Farmers Market" look. I think that John is absolutely right. A stand that is a complete 180 from the norm would be so cool but I'm not sure if that would be right for Rosa. Rosa is more traditional and I think I will continue the design I have now but I hope that I can find the right person to make a mid century modern farmers marked look for.

No comments:

Post a Comment